The other day I had such a craving for something sweet. As it was 11:30 pm, too late to start cooking up a storm. Fortunately, I remembered hearing about and making chocolate cake in a cup back in the day. No, the ingredients are not ultra cheap, nor are they super healthy, but at least I know what's in them, and I can make something yummy quickly without needing to buy and store junk food in my house.
Sorry- microwave needed for this. (For those that are wondering, we still have one, but it gets used only very rarely.)
Chocolate Cake in a Cup
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons oil
3 drops peppermint extract (optional)
1. In a LARGE microwaveable mug, mix flour, cocoa, sugar, and baking powder. (If you use a small mug or even an average sized mug, you'll probably regret it.)
2. Add the egg to the mug and with a fork, mix very, very well. Make sure no flour is left at the bottom of the mug or you'll end up with chocolate pudding in a mug instead of chocolate cake in your mug.(Trust me, I learned this one the hard way.)
3. Add the water and mix well, making sure there are no clumps.
4. Add the oil and mix well. If you want peppermint patty chocolate cake in a cup, add a few drops of peppermint extract. If you don't like mint, leave it out, or add vanilla in its place.
5. Microwave for 3 minutes exactly. The cake will cook and pop out the top of the cup an inch or two.
6. Eat with a spoon and top with powdered sugar if you want.
What do you eat when you want a quick snack if you, like me, don't buy processed junk food?