Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Some Healthy Brown Rice Recipes
This is a guest post by Nancy Evans, a freelance writer who enjoys writing about frugality, food, and health. These recipes are simple and pretty healthy, and all gluten free (if you use gluten free soy sauce) and vegetarian. If I would make them, I'd probably sprout the brown rice first to make it more digestible. I'd also probably use homemade lentil soup instead of canned, and green beans instead of edamame.
Brown rice is a traditional whole-grain food that is naturally high in protein and nutrients. Brown rice has a mild flavor and is slightly chewy when cooked. It can be easily seasoned and spiced. It works well as a main dish with vegetables. There is so much that can be done with brown rice. It would be almost impossible to get bored of this wonder food that is packed with so much nutritional benefit.
Brown Rice And Veggies
For this simple recipe you will need four cups of cooked brown rice.
1. Add in soy sauce, but leave out additional salt.
2. Let the soy sauce seep in while you prepare various vegetables in a separate pan.
3. Heat edamame, mushrooms, peas and broccoli together with about one tablespoon of sesame oil.
4. Cook the veggies long enough so that they are soft.
5. Mix it in with the rice and serve to your family.
This delicious meal contains plenty of vitamins and fiber, and tastes great.
Mexican Brown Rice
Mexican rice is a traditional staple that usually uses white rice. Use four cups of cooked brown rice.
1. Add in one can of tomato sauce, chopped onions and garlic.
2. Mix cheese if preferred. A small amount of vegetable stock may also be added.
3. Cook the mixture until it is a semi-dry texture and all of the ingredients are incorporated.
This fast and easy dish can be eaten as a tasty meal on its own.
Brown Rice Casserole
1. Prepare one package of brown rice and a can of lentil soup.
2. Choose various vegetables that you enjoy. Corn, mushrooms, green beans and peas are a few examples that would taste great.
3. Cut up some red and orange peppers.
4. Mix the ingredients together in a glass dish.
5. Top with a favorite cheese.
6. Turn the oven to 375 degrees and place the dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
This dish is fast, easy and delicious. It is also very healthy for those that are watching their waistline.
Brown rice is such a versatile food, and you can view rice recipes online to get a wider range of ideas for cooking this food. It's filling, delicious and super easy to prepare. The best part is that brown rice is also cheap. You can feed a large family or just a few people without spending much money at all. Brown rice will quickly become your favorite food once you learn how to prepare it in new and tasty ways.
Do you eat brown rice often? What is your favorite way to prepare brown rice?
See my disclaimer.