|Lemon rice with curried peas, red lentil dal,|
sauted and steamed carrots, and sliced radishes
It's also the perfect thing to do to repurpose leftover rice.
2 tablespoons oil
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup almonds or unsalted shelled peanuts, or a mix
1/4 cup lemon juice
Pinch or dash of hot pepper flakes
4-6 cups cooked rice (more will give you a more mildly flavored rice)
1. Chop up the onion and mince the garlic.
2. Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
3. Add the mustard seeds, cumin, and turmeric. Mix and cook for a few minutes, or until the mustard seeds are barely starting to brown.
4. Add peanuts if using, and cook them for 10 minutes on a low heat. If using almonds as well as peanuts, add after 5 minutes and cook for 5 minutes more. If using just almonds, cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add lemon juice, rice, salt, and hot pepper flakes.
6. Mix well and adjust seasonings to taste.
Have you ever had Indian lemon rice? What was in it? Does this look like a recipe you'd try?
Linking up to Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday