Thursday, July 24, 2014
Asian Inspired Cabbage and Sprouted Lentil Salad Recipe- Vegan, Refined Sugar Free
This cabbage and sprouted lentil salad recipe is delicious, protein rich, and cheap to boot. It's also versatile as well.
I based it on a cabbage salad recipe I've made and loved for years. If you're not a fan of lentils, you can just use more cabbage in place of the lentils. I love putting whatever fresh, seasonal produce I have in the house in this salad, but mandarin oranges and craisins (though more expensive) are also awesome in the salad.
I hope your family loves this recipe as much as I do.
5 cups cabbage- purple or green (approximately 1/2 a large cabbage)
3 1/2 cups sprouted lentils or 3 1/2 more cups cabbage
1 small onion or 2 scallions
1/2 cup fruit- mango, mandarin oranges, peaches, nectarines, persimmons, pomegranate seeds, craisins (optional)
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or white vinegar)
1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten free soy sauce to keep it gluten free)
1/4 cup coconut sugar, honey, or white sugar
1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
1. Chop up your cabbage thinly.
2. Slice your onion thinly. Add to the cabbage. Add sprouted lentils if using.
3. Mix the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar/sweetener. Pour over the cabbage and mix well.
4. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for approximately a minute, or less.
5. Add chopped fruit and sesame seeds to the cabbage salad a few minutes before serving.
Have you ever made an Asian inspired cabbage salad? What's in it? Does this look like a recipe you'd try? Do you think you'd try it with or without the sprouted lentils?