Ever have to cook lunch for your family, but the only produce you have in the house is carrots and onions, and you want to make a full meal with veggies, protein, and carbs, and you are short on time and want to make a one pot meal?
Happens to me all the time. This is a one pot rice, chickpeas, and carrot dish I made in the pressure cooker, and it tasted great. If you want to make it in a non pressure cooker, you can make it in a regular pot, just add an extra cup of water, and cook until all the water is absorbed.
It's a good meal for when you're short on time, since the cooking time is very short. I used home cooked chickpeas which I froze in small portions, to make this quick cooking.
1 large onion
1-2 tablespoons oil
5 cups chopped carrots
4 cloves garlic
2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (you can use home cooked chickpeas, or strained canned chickpeas)
2 cups raw rice
3 1/2 cups water (4 1/2 if not using a pressure cooker)
1 heaping tablespoon cumin
1 heaping tablespoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons corriander seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot paprika or cayenne pepper
1. Chop up the onion and garlic.
2. Heat up the oil, and saute the onions and garlic until starting to brown.
3. Chop your carrots, and add them to the onions and garlic.
4. Saute the carrots for about 5 minutes.
5. Add everything else and mix well.
6. If using a pressure cooker, bring to pressure and leave it at pressure for 5 minutes, then let it slowly depressurize. If not using a pressure cooker, cover, bring to a boil, and then cook on a low flame until all the water is absorbed.
What are your favorite, easy, and low cost 1 pot meals? Does this look like a recipe you'd try?