I had an idea to make something like cinnamon buns for dessert, only with strawberry jam inside it instead of a cinnamon sugar mixture. The strawberry buns flopped (gotta improve the dough recipe) but the strawberry jam that I made to go inside it came out so wonderfully that I think this will be my go to recipe for strawberry jam. It's refined sugar free, pectin free, and is Paleo and GAPS legal and can easily be vegan too. You can make it with only whole fruit, and it is not too difficult to make. I highly recommend this recipe.
6 ounces/170 g fresh or frozen strawberries
5 ounces/140 g date paste or pitted dates
1 cup water
2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener of choice (optional)
1. Put strawberries, dates, and water in a pan.
2. Mixing frequently, cook until the water is nearly all evaporated.
3. If adding, add the sweetener and cook until thick, mixing often.
4. Puree using a food processor, blender stick, or blender until smooth.
5. Use as you would any other strawberry jam, spread on crackers or bread or dropped into yogurt or even as topping on ice cream!
Have you ever made a healthier strawberry jam? What was in it? Does this look like a recipe you'd try?
What is your favorite use for strawberry jam?