I had this really insatiable craving for pizza lately. That yummy crust smothered with tomato sauce and a myriad of other delectable toppings. Yea, gluten free makes it kinda hard to order something like that from a pizza place, but man, I really wanted some pizza.
I found and tweaked a recipe from Premeditated Leftovers. It hit the spot so much, satiated that craving of mine, that I decided I just have to share it with y'all. (I think I'll be making some more and freezing them to eat post birth.)
2.5 cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
5 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp honey
1.5 cups warm (but not hot) water
4 tbsp oil
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie tray and spoon the dough onto the tray. It'll be thick and sticky, somewhat like the consistency of sticky mashed potatoes. This will either be enough for 2 regular sized pizzas or one large cookie tray and one smaller pizza.
4. Dip a spoon in water, and use the back of the wet spoon to smooth the pizza dough as thin as possible and covering as much area as possible on the tray. You'll need to keep redipping the spoon in the water so the dough doesn't stick to the spoon.
5. When the entire tray is covered in a thin layer of pizza dough, turn on the oven to 450 to let it preheat. Let the pizza dough rise for 20 minutes.
6. Bake the pizza dough for 10 minutes, then remove from oven. Cover with toppings and return to the oven until the toppings are fully cooked.
To make my pizza dairy free, I topped mine with a layer of homemade tomato sauce, shredded chicken gizzards, fried eggplant, sauted onions and peppers, and oven roasted tomatoes. I then sprinkled some zaatar spice seasoning onto the lot and baked it for another 10-15 minutes. The pizza was inhaled!!!
Do you make pizza ever at home, are you not a pizza lover, or do you prefer to buy your pizza? What toppings do you like on pizza?
Linking up to Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday,