Sunday, November 3, 2013
Italian Herbed Zucchini Soup Recipe- Vegan, Gluten Free
I had the pleasure of being gifted with a huge amount of zucchinis the other day, and wanted to figure out a good dish to make with them. Then I remembered the time when, as a guest in someone's house, I was served a delicious herbed zucchini soup. I have no idea what the recipe was- I only knew it had zucchini and oregano in it, but with that in mind, I made up this recipe, which was quite delicious. It can either be eaten as is, or it can be blended to make a delicious creamy soup.
The soup is vegan, GAPS/Paleo/Primal legal, is gluten free, grain free, sugar free, and just perfect.
3 tablespoons olive oil (or other oil)
8 medium sized zucchini
2-3 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste)
1-2 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
6 cups water
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or other vinegar)
1. Saute the onions in the oil until golden.
2. Slice/chop the zucchini, and saute with the onions.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, other than salt and vinegar.
4. Add the salt and vinegar, adding a little at a time to make sure you don't add too much. You don't want the soup to actually be sour, you just want to balance the flavors a bit with a drop of tart.
5. If desired, blend. If not, serve as is!
P.S. Sorry I didn't have a pic of the finished soup- I was sure I took a picture, but I don't see it on my camera...
Have you ever made a zucchini soup before? What do you put in yours? What would you make if you were gifted with a whole bunch of zucchini?