Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Yummy Apple Muffins Recipe- With Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan Options
Got any apples that need to be used up?
The other day I wanted to make a sweet baked good, but I was short on most ingredients that seem to be in the standard muffin recipes. I did have a lot of apples, though, and figured they'd make a great muffin. I wasn't disappointed.
I based my muffin recipe off this one, and they came out so great that people were telling me I should market it.
These muffins are gluten free (but can easily be made with wheat if you're trying to keep costs down), can easily be made vegan, and can easily be made refined sugar free. I've made mine vegan and not vegan, refined sugar free and not refined sugar free, and they're great all ways.
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs or 1/4 cup ground flax seeds and 1/4 cup water
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour mix (plus 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if it doesn't already have it) or other flour such as wheat or whole wheat if gluten isnt a concern
~2 cups grated apple or two large apples grated (sweet kind, not granny smith)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar or 3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Mix the water, oil, egg or flax egg replacement (flax+water), and sugar until fully combined.
2. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix until no clumps remain.
3. Add in the grated apple and mix well.
4. Spoon into 12 muffin tins.
5. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
What is your go to muffin recipe when you want to make muffins? Does this look like a recipe you'd try?
Linking up to WFMW, Real Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday