|French onion soup with melted Swiss cheese. |
No toast, as I still haven't found a good gluten free bread recipe.
I used my homemade wine for this recipe, making it even cheaper for me.
4 tbsp butter
3 extra large onions
2 cloves garlic
2 cups dry wine
8 cups vegetable broth
5.5 cups water
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
5 bay leaves
3 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tablespoons corn starch, tapioca starch, or potato starch
1-2 tbsp honey (optional)
Swiss Cheese (optional)
1. Caramelize the onion on the butter until the onion is starting to get brown. Add garlic and cook until brown.
2. In the meantime, if you haven't already, prepare your vegetable broth.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot of caramelized onions aside for the honey, half a cup of water, the starch, and the cheese.
4. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Mix starch with half a cup of water. Make sure to mix well so there are no clumps.
6. Add the starch and water to the pot of soup, and cook until it thickens slightly.
7. If desired, add 1-2 tablespoons of honey to taste.
8. Serve with Swiss cheese melted in the bowl.
Do you ever make French onion soup? What do you put in yours?
Do you think you'd try this recipe at home?
Linking up to Monday Mangia, Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Turning the Table Thursday, Its a Keeper Thursday, DIY Thrifty Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday