|Curried Turnips, White Rice, and Apple Chutney|
I've already made turnips into a spicy Korean salad, turn them into pickles, and even have made them into hash browns.
I figured that Indian foods are strongly enough spiced that curried turnips would probably be terrific. And it is! Yes, you still taste the turnip, but it's well balanced by the other flavors...
3-4 tablespoons oil
4 cardamom pods
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin
1 medium onion
1-2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons nigella
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons coconut flakes
Hot pepper flakes to taste
1. Heat up the oil on a pan, then add the cardamom pods, mustard seeds and cumin. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Slice up the onion and add it to the pan, sauteing until golden.
3. Grate the turnips, and add them and the rest of the ingredients, other than the coconut and hot pepper flakes, cooking on a medium heat, stirring frequently, until fully soft.
4. Add the coconut flakes and hot pepper flakes.
5. Serve with rice, red lentil dahl, and chutney.
What is your favorite thing to do with turnips? Do you have any good recipes to share? Does this look like a recipe you'd try?