This is a recipe for avgolemono, Greek style egg and lemon soup. There are all sorts of recipes out there for it; this is one I pieced together from a few different recipes, using a technique that my Greel friend Vera taught me, so that unlike traditional egg lemon soup, this one doesn't curdle when reheated, so you don't have to worry about what to do with leftovers.
12 cups chicken broth (I used water left from cooking my gizzards, but you can use any chicken broth)
6 large carrots
6 egg yolks
1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice
3-4 tablespoons corn starch, potato starch, or tapioca starch
Salt and pepper to taste
Wild greens, ideally wood sorrel (optional)
1. Peel and chop your carrots, then add to the chicken broth. Cook until soft. If using greens, add and cook until wilted.
2. Mix egg yolks and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
3. Let about a half cup of your chicken broth cool down a bit, then mix with the starch until you get a smooth mixture.
4. Add your starch and broth mixture slowly to the yolk mixture, mixing the yolks as you add it.
5. Add hot soup, one spoon at a time, to the yolk mixture, mixing it in as you add it, to heat it up slowly so that it doesn't curdle. When the yolk mixture is warm/hot, add it to the soup, and heat until it starts to thicken a bit.
6. Add salt and pepper and more lemon to taste. Make sure not to add too much lemon or your kid might tell you "This is the most disgusting thing I ever tasted".
7. Serve with rice or plain.
Have you ever had Greek egg lemon soup? What do you put in yours?
Do you like sour foods? My husband is definitely not a fan of sour- the one time in our marriage I attempted to make hot and sour Chinese soup for dinner, my husband asked me why I made food that tasted like vomit. So, this isn't his favorite soup either if I make it more sour, so I tend to water it down.
Me on the other hand? I love sour foods!
Linking up to Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday