This was what I came up with.
Pretty much pure butternut squash and spices- it only needed to be sweetened because this was a less sweet butternut squash, but if you have a good butternut squash, no need for any sweetener at all.
It was great and really hit the spot.
And it's GAPS legal. And vegan. Perfection.
Healthy Butternut Squash Pudding Recipe- GAPS Legal, Lower Carb, VeganIngredients:
1 whole butternut squash
2 tablespoon ground chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla (I use homemade ground vanilla) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey, maple syrup, or other sweetener (optional- leave out if your squash is a sweet one)
1/4 cup nuts (optional)
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
1. Split your butternut squash in half and de-seed it.
2. Bake it until it is fully soft.
3. Scoop the squash out of the peel, then blend it up in a food processor until smooth.
4. Add the chia seeds, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Taste it, and if it needs additional sweetener, add it.
5. If desired, you can add some roughly chopped nuts (doesn't matter what kind- I used a mix of walnuts and almonds, but any would do) and/or shredded coconut.
6. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to allow the chia seeds to cause the pudding to thicken.
Have you ever made butternut squash pudding? Does this look like something you'd try?
What type of food would you make if you wanted something treat like, but wanted it to be healthy?
Linking up to Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Fat Tuesday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday and Real Food Wednesday